Here you will find answers to coronavirus FAQs specifically for students. Please also see the general coronavirus FAQs.  Please also note that the Scottish Government has developed an e-learning resource for students on COVID safety on campus.

Last updated: 25 November 2021

Where can I find information on how the University is operating and its route map to normal operations?

QMU Covid Route Map 2021 (published 22 July 2021)

Our route map is based on guidance from government and other national sources. It is flexible to allow for any changing circumstances.

How do I book a coronavirus test?

If you have symptoms:

If you develop COVID-19 symptoms, you should book a PCR COVID test and self-isolate immediately. You can choose either to have a test sent to your home or to attend a testing site, which are located across Scotland.

COVID test booking for people with symptoms

Students - in the event that you need assistance in arranging transport to a testing site, you should contact either Accommodation services or Security for assistance.  If you live in the halls of residence, speak to the Accommodation Services team as they may have a supply of testing kits for use in particular circumstances.

If you don't have symptoms:

If you do not have symptoms: everyone in Scotland can now order lateral flow tests online or collect them from a test site, for fast twice weekly testing at home. Many people have COVID-19 but have no symptoms, which is one of the ways it can spread quickly to different people. That’s why being tested is so important. It protects everyone within your household and in our community.

Find out more about regular COVID testing for those without symptoms

Specific COVID testing arrangements for QMU University students and staff without symptoms. 


What should I do if I receive a positive COVID test result?

If you receive a positive test result (whether a lateral flow or PCR test) you must follow NHS guidance on self-isolation and contact tracing. You must also advise the University that you have tested positive as follows:-

Staff - please tell Security (0131 474 0000 ext 2222) and email the Head of Human Resources at Please also advise your line manager.

Students - please tell Security (0131 474 0000 ext 2222) plus Accommodation (0131 474 0000 x 4902) if you live on campus, and contact the School Office -


The University will also implement contact tracing. You may be asked to provide details of potential close contacts but you should not contact individuals outwith your own household directly unless you are advised otherwise by Test and Protect.


When should I self-isolate?

Please see NHS Inform for a simple guide as to when you should self-isolate.

If I need to self-isolate, how do I do it and how long do I have to do so?

See the NHSInform guide to self-isolation for guidance.

Should I self-isolate if I come into contact with someone who has COVID-like symptoms or is awaiting a test result?

See the NHSInform guide to self-isolation for guidance.


Do I need to tell the University if I am self-isolating, suspect I have coronavirus, or have been diagnosed with coronavirus?

If you suspect you have coronavirus, please stay home and visit NHS Inform for advice.

You need to tell us if you are self-isolating, suspect you have coronavirus or have been diagnosed with coronavirus. Please:

1. Tell Security (0131 474 0000 ext 2222) - and also Accommodation (0131 474 0000 x 4902) if you live on campus.

2. Contact the School Office -

 (Remember that if you suspect that you have coronavirus, other people in your household need to self-isolate too.)

If you experience symptoms while on campus, it is important that you tell Security immediately (wherever possible by phone - 0131 474 0000 ext 2222 - rather than travelling across campus to see them in person).

In the event that you need assistance in arranging transport to a testing site, you should contact either Accommodation services or Security for assistance.

You will need to alert us by emailing if you might be absent from QMU for more than two weeks, cannot work online, and might therefore miss key teaching or assessment. The University will assess the impact on your studies on an individual basis. If you are in this position raising any questions or concerns you might have is advised.



My classes for semester two of the 20/21 academic year were all moved online – am I entitled to a reduction in my tuition fee?

Responding to the unprecedented impact of COVID-19, and following government guidelines to ensure the health, safety, and well-being of our community, teaching on the majority of programmes in semester two has had to be delivered in an alternative form.  This is to ensure compliance with the Scottish Government regulations in force since 5 January, and specific guidance for colleges and universities published on 11 January.

COVID-19 and its impact represent an exceptional situation, which is outside of the University’s reasonable control.  Staff of the University have worked hard to mitigate the impact of the COVID-19 emergency on in-person learning opportunities, particularly through providing lecture content, synchronous learning such as seminars, and tutor support, online. Therefore, although classes are necessarily being delivered in a different form during the COVID-19 restrictions, they continue to meet agreed module aims.  Further, we continue to review the impact of the current circumstances on student assessment and attainment, and, in line with our response earlier in the pandemic, mitigating action will be taken where necessary to ensure that students are not disadvantaged. As these various steps mean that students are able to achieve the learning outcomes of their programme, we do not expect that students will have suffered any loss as a result of the required move to online teaching that would provide grounds for a reduction in the amount of tuition fees payable. We do, however, expect that these steps will help to mitigate the impact of the pandemic.

It is open to any student who is dissatisfied with the standard of service, action or lack of action by or on behalf of the University to complain to the University under the University’s Complaints Procedure.

Are all student services operational now?

Yes, all student services, from the Effective Learning Service to Wellbeing, are operational this semester, with adaptations as necessary.

More information on student services.

What is the University's approach to physical distancing?

We are fortunate in that our modern, airy campus is well suited to avoiding congestion.

The specific physical distancing measures that we take at any time will be in accordance with Scottish Government guidance and based on a full risk assessment.

For information on current requirements in terms of physical distancing, please see our route map to normal operations.

What health protection measures are in place on campus?

Our health protection measures are based on a full University-wide COVID risk assessment.

Specific measures will depend on government guidance at any given time, but, for example, we have sanitiser stations, seating arrangements have been changed, and we have made adjustments to our ventilation systems to optimise air flow.

More information on campus adaptations.

Are we considering the car parking requirements of those for those who wish to avoid public transport?

Through our timetable planning, we are spreading out activity across the day to spread the load on the car park and other facilities and thus maximise the availability of parking space. We have also introduced flexible parking permits, eg day tickets.

What do I do if I need to care for children if they cannot attend school because of concern about the virus?

Information set out below concerning exams and assessments would apply.

What do I do if I am unable to undertake an assessment due to extenuating circumstances particular to me?

The University understands that students are juggling complex domestic situations and restrictions at the moment and we will provide flexibility for individual students where required. We have an extenuating circumstances policy which you can call on if your own personal circumstances present particular problems in terms of a deadline for completing an assessment. If you are seeking an extension to an assessment deadline, you can find the application form on the Student Portal. Please refer also to the FAQ on this page relating to an inability to take an assessment, and the FAQ in relation to changes in the assessment regulations in response to the coronavirus emergency.

How is the impact of the COVID-19 on student assessment, progression and award being addressed by the University?

The University is very aware of the challenges facing students in their learning experience, and we have been working hard to mitigate against the impact of these challenges where possible.

It was with that in mind that the University Senate, approved a set of interim regulations in September 2021, which apply to assessment, progression and Board of Examiners arrangements during Academic Session 2021-22. The regulations apply with effect from 1 October 2021. Details of the interim regulations can be found at

It may be helpful for students to be aware that, when taking decisions on assessment regulations, and any other policies, procedures and regulations affecting the student experience, the University involves the Students’ Union and other student representatives at all stages. The Student President and Vice-President are members of the Student Experience Committee and Senate, and there are other student representatives on both of these committees as well. 

What would happen if I was unable to sit my exams/assessments, either because I am self-isolating, or exams/assessments have not been able to take place? What would happen if I felt I had not performed as well as I might have due to the current emergency situation?

The University appreciates that this is an anxious period for students, but we can reassure all students that our published assessment regulations, and interim regulations approved by the University Senate in September 2021 for the academic year 2021/22, allow boards of examiners to exercise discretion in coming to a decision on student progression and on degree classification where not all of the work has been able to be assessed.

Where can I find the changes in the assessment regulations in response to the coronavirus emergency?

Where can I find advice on travel during coronavirus?

If you have questions about travel, we recommend that you look up the travel advice found on the Scottish Government's Student Information Scotland website and the links from that site to further travel advice. As well as information for students in Scotland, that site includes links to guidance on international travel and quarantine requirements.


What is the University’s advice on personal travel?

While the University is not responsible for you on personal trips, we all have a social duty to help avoid the spread of coronavirus and to help minimise the social disruption arising from it.  Please see the Scottish Government website for information on current travel restrictions, quarantine requirements etc. When travel is possible, we strongly recommend that you follow the advice and guidance found on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) website at all times. This includes advice on whether it is safe to travel to a particular country, advice on health and security, including advice on coronavirus, and advice on what to do when returning from a trip e.g. whether it is necessary to self-isolate for example. If you decide to travel against FCO advice, be aware there may be travel restrictions imposed that may impede your return to the UK.  Please also check your own travel insurance policy. If you think there is a reasonable chance that your personal travel plans might result in a need to self-isolate on your return to the UK or in-country, please talk to your Programme Leader.

There is some useful general travel advice at Travel Health Pro.


Where can I find guidance on remote working and video conferencing?

See our you can do IT at home webpage for information, guidance and tips.

How can I access the Learning Resource Centre?

The Learning Resource Centre is open. For information on current operating arrangements, please see our Library website.  If you have any specific requirements please contact the LRC staff in advance

For Library queries, please contact, and for all other enquiries please contact .



Can sports take place on campus?

For the latest information, please visit our Sports website:, or contact the Sports Team at

What is the advice regarding student research projects?

At the current time, it is anticipated that research studies will be able to take place in person and on campus, provided that they are compliant with any reduced room capacities, face covering requirements, hygiene measures and restrictions in place at that time.  Studies will also be subject to any relevant professional body, clinical or research council recommendations and requirements.

To apply for ethical approval for a new study commencing in semester one please complete an Ethical Approval Form. If the study is considered ‘non-invasive’ or ‘minor invasive using an established procedure at QMU’ then the application should be submitted to the appropriate Divisional Research Ethics Committee (DivREC) for consideration. If the study is considered ‘minor invasive using a new procedure at QMU’ or ‘major invasive’ then the application should be submitted to the DivREC for consideration and then referred to for consideration by the QMU Research Ethics Panel.   Please note that the Risk Assessment section of the application form should be fully completed and address any COVID-19 related risks as appropriate.

If you have received approval for an ongoing study which includes on-line only interaction and you want to make changes to the study to allow in person research when this is permissible, please complete a Notification of Changes form, a risk assessment form and update the Ethical Approval Form (highlighting changes made) and submit it to for consideration by the QMU Research Ethics Panel.

Advice for doctoral candidates

We recognise that many of you may find yourselves unable to complete essential tasks, experiments, field work and/or data collection over the next few weeks or months, for example due to restricted access to the campus, travel restrictions, self-isolation, illness, volunteering and caring responsibilities. While this is a rapidly developing situation, we wanted to provide you with some reassurance regarding the impact of that disruption on your studies, and the steps we are taking to mitigate that impact. The principles of that are set out below, and follow those adopted by UK Research and Innovation.

Adjustments to Deadlines, Registration Periods etc.

Given the individual nature of postgraduate research it is difficult to offer a generic statement on extensions etc., so any adjustments will be tailored to the extenuating circumstances of each candidate concerned. Consequently, we will need to capture any adjustments to periods of registration, changes to submission deadlines and so on through the usual Graduate School processes and forms. All forms can be found on the website, any queries can be sent to

Extensions to Submission Deadlines

We will approve requests for extensions to submission dates where a candidate has experienced and can evidence the types of disruption identified above. We will in some cases, advise on the appropriate length of an extension.

Suspensions of/Extensions to Periods of Registration

Similarly, we will approve requests for suspensions of, or extension to periods of registration where a candidate has experienced disruption to the progress of their research activities. We will in some cases, advise on the appropriate length of an extension.


In many cases you will be able to work from home even if the activities undertaken change. For example you can progress your READ modules. For short periods of self-isolation, if you cannot work, many of you will have sufficient time left that you can make this up over the remainder of your doctorate programme. In these cases, extensions to periods of registration should not be required. Together with your supervisors, and drawing on the RDF, you can adjust your learning contract and project plan.

Where self-isolating with illness undermines your ability to finish your doctorate within the specified period, an extension will be considered sympathetically.

Examples (not exhaustive) of when an extension may need to be applied include:

  • A significant period of self-isolation (we do not define significant as this is likely to be proportional to the time left in the funded period)
  • Significant or increased caring responsibilities
  • Postponement of critical activities where alternatives are not available. Examples could include: experiments due to take place at a national/international facility which will delay the research for a significant amount of time; access to critical archives being unavailable for a significant period; fieldwork due to take place in inaccessible geographical regions; data collection due to take place that would breach social distancing.


We have already had our first viva via video conferencing, so those of you near to submission can be reassured that the current restrictions do not necessarily delay your viva preparations.


Probationary and assessed presentations will, as far as possible continue via a virtual platform.

Tuition Fees

If your research is delayed, and an extension is approved, there will be no additional tuition fees for the duration of that extension.

Financial Difficulties

PG research students who are facing hardship as a result of COVID-19 should apply to our Discretionary (hardship) and International Hardship funds in the usual way, through our Student Funding Adviser at The Student Funding Adviser can provide you with advice as well as guidance on how to apply for these funds.

If I need to study remotely for COVID-related reasons at some point in the 21/22 academic year, will I be academically disadvantaged or penalised because I am unable to attend any on-campus learning activities?

No. Students who find themselves in this situation (i.e. because of issues related to travel restrictions, quarantining or self-isolation) should email in order that the University can put in place appropriate support for you. 

Please note that for our pre-registration health programmes, you will need to be on campus in time to undertake your pre-placement clinical training. There may be similar issues for other courses with a practical element.


If I need to study remotely, will I still be able access Student Services support (finance, wellbeing, counselling, careers etc.)?

Yes. The University has continued to offer students remote access to its range of Student Services support throughout the pandemic.  You can use Student Central to view the resources, book online appointments and view current job vacancies. 

What other learning resources will I have access to if I need to study remotely?

Our Library (LRC) resources and our Effective Learning Service (ELS) are both accessible remotely. The ELS will continue to offer advice and guidance on writing assignments and developing academic skills to students who need to study remotely.

I have a disability that means I was previously shielding. Is it safe to return to campus?

Yes. The Scottish Government has recently updated its guidance for those who were previously on the ‘shielding’ list. The Scottish government now refer to people at the ‘highest risk’ rather than shielding. At Level 0 and beyond level 0, based on the clinical evidence, people at highest risk from COVID-19 should follow the same advice as the rest of the population. For students at QMU, it is considered safe to come onto campus to access classes and students should therefore do so (subject to any changes in guidance from the Scottish Government).

There will be some students who are classified by the NHS as ‘clinically extremely vulnerable’. These students should have received a letter from the NHS. If not, they should contact their GP. Those classified as ‘clinically extremely vulnerable’ include students who:

  • Have been classed as clinically extremely vulnerable by a doctor or GP because they think you're at high risk of getting seriously ill
  • Have been identified as possibly being at high risk through the COVID-19 Population Risk Assessment
  • Have had an organ transplant
  • Are having chemotherapy or antibody treatment for cancer, including immunotherapy
  • Are having an intense course of radiotherapy (radical radiotherapy) for lung cancer
  • Are having targeted cancer treatments that can affect the immune system (such as protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors)
  • Have blood or bone marrow cancer (such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma)
  • Have had a bone marrow or stem cell transplant in the past 6 months, or are still taking immunosuppressant medicine
  • Have been told by a doctor they have a severe lung condition (such as cystic fibrosis, severe asthma or severe COPD)
  • Have a condition that means they have a very high risk of getting infections (such as SCID or sickle cell)
  • Are taking medicine that makes them much more likely to get infections (such as high doses of steroids or immunosuppressant medicine)
  • Have a serious heart condition and are pregnant
  • Have a problem with their spleen or your spleen has been removed (splenectomy)
  • Are an adult with Down's syndrome
  • Are an adult who is having dialysis or has severe (stage 5) long-term kidney disease

In addition to the list there may be students who cannot be vaccinated due to an existing health condition as well as those with complex support needs.

Students classed as ‘clinically extremely vulnerable’ or those with complex support needs should contact their Disability Adviser and discuss what reasonable adjustments can be put in place to enable them to study remotely in Semester 1, 2021. Other students are expected to attend classes on campus where they have been timetabled.


I have an Independent Learning Plan (ILP), will that be modified to take account of any adjustments to the delivery of learning and teaching arising from COVID?

Yes. Where necessary, ILPs will be modified to take account of any necessary adjustments to learning and teaching activities arising from COVID, including for those students who are unable to come on to campus. Students with ILPs will be contacted by Student Services regarding this.

How can I get help at the University if the current situation is making me feel anxious?

Please remember that that there are staff across the University here to help when you need it and it is important to talk to someone about your anxiety. Do draw on the support services around you as and when you need them. StudentService's Counselling and Wellbeing teams are providing both face to face support sessions and online/phone support. You can book an appointment either through Student Central or by sending us an email.

You can also contact your Personal Academic Tutor (PAT) (names on the Student Portal)

We are all here to help.

You might also want to sign up for Togetherall which is available to you through the University. This is a digital mental health support service which is available online, 24/7, and is completely anonymous so you can express yourself freely and openly.




Where can I find information about asymptomatic COVID testing for students at QMU?

What advice is there on testing before travel between semester one and two?

Students planning to travel home at Christmas should follow the Scottish Government's  ‘Test Before Travel’ advice for domestic travel at the end of Semester One and for the return for Semester Two. This means doing an LFD test three days before travel and on the day of travel. It also means taking an LFD test three days before travel and on the day of travel before returning to term-time accommodation.

If I had all my classes online last year, why can’t I take them all online this year if I think that would suit my circumstances better?

The majority of the University’s programme are advertised, approved, and in many cases accredited as programmes where the learning and teaching for those programmes is delivered primarily face to face. While the Quality Assurance Agency and professional bodies accepted that for Academic Session 2020/21 Scottish Government guidelines meant that much of that teaching had to move to online, that was only while those guidelines required that adjustment.  As those guidelines relax, our programmes are required to predominantly return to the form of teaching delivery for which they were validated and accredited.

Where can I find answers to COVID related questions related to my on-campus accommodation contract and more FAQs about campus accommodation?

Where can I find COVID-related advice specific to international students?

See our international FAQs and feel free to contact our international team with any queries (

How can students get a COVID vaccine?

We strongly encourage you to get vaccinated. There are vaccine clinics operating across Scotland, You can find out more at


More FAQs

General Coronavirus FAQs

FAQs for Staff

FAQs for International Students

FAQs for Applicants and Offer Holders

Accommodation FAQs


Our dedicated COVID email is now open for students who want to speak directly to someone at QMU about any COVID-related questions or concerns. 

Show Contacts


Listen to the official QMU Podcast >